I keep saying to myself, “you know, self, you are technically a community blogger. You should blog more about local issues, instead of prattling on about confederate Mohammad cartoons and feminist critiques of prehistoric geography.” But then, some mook writes something stupid about a non-local-interest subject that they know nothing about, and I can’t help but swoop in.
15 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD SHUT UP ABOUT CORDOBA HOUSE
1. You are not a New Yorker.
2. You’ve never been to New York for longer than two weeks.
3. You are not a New Yorker.
4. You refuse to learn anything about the subject and just go “OMG MUSLIMS!!”
5. You are not a New Yorker.
6. It is not “next to WTC.” It’s two blocks away.
7. There’s already mosques in that neighborhood. Along with strip clubs, gay bars, tacky souvenir shops and all sorts of national monument disgracing places.
8. The people building this thing are the moderate Muslims you keep saying that you want other Muslims to be like. At least, that’s what you say, Herb van Fleet*. They’re as militantly Muslim as the YMCA is militantly Christian. You know I’m no fan of Islam, but I can’t get worked up over a YMMA.
9. You are not from New York.
10. You can’t even see the WTC crater from this site. I know this because unlike you, I have gone to New York on several occasions, and have been to that neighborhood on our way to see the crater.
11. This obscure thing called the First Amendment.
12. Teabaggers are driving this, and teabaggers are always wrong.
12. You are not from New York.
14. If you did go to New York, you would pee yourself as your xenophobia circuits would overload. People of all sorts of scary colors and origins, in close proximity of each other?!? How can this BEEEEEEEEEE
15. You don’t give one iota of a hoot about New York, because you are not a New Yorker and the only time you feign interest in it is when it gives you a chance to put a full window Bald Eagle/American Flag decal on your camper shell. Otherwise you just have a thinly-veiled disdain for it.